Key West Mangrove Ecosystem Paddleboard Tour
Paddleboarding is fun and suitable for people of all ages and abilities! Along with your experienced guide you will paddle at a relaxing pace and explore the shallow, calm, blue-green waters of the back country of Key West.
- Hotel pickup included
- Close encounter with wildlife
- Excellent value for money
- Family friendly
- Choice of morning or afternoon departure
This is a typical itinerary for this product
Stop At: Lazy Dog Adventures, 5114 Overseas Highway US 1, Key West, FL 33040
You will glide through the winding mangrove creeks and paddle through inches of water, where you can easily view and learn about the geological structure of the Keys along with its inhabitants.
Duration: 1 hour
Stop At: Key West, Key West, Florida Keys, Florida
Your adventure will give you a chance to view the mangrove environment up close, along with its marine life including tropical fish, crabs, sea stars, jellyfish, sea cucumbers, sponges and various aquatic birds. All our tours are available using kayaks or paddleboards.
Duration: 1 hour
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including the address and parking information if applicable - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 2 hours (Approx.)
- Return Details: Returns to original departure point
- Professional guide
- Quiet side of Key West
- Entry/Admission - Lazy Dog Adventures
- Bottled water available for sale
- Dry bags available for rent
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Bathrooms available on property
- Dockside restaurant on property
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- We will be sanitizing our equipment after each use. Tours are outdoors with ample space and customers will be able to be socially distant.
Average 4.67 out of 5 stars based on 6 verified reviews from Tours of Key West and TripAdvisor
Was a great time, place and weather to go out and try paddle boarding for the first time. Lazy Dog is the vendor and the staff was great. We were out longer than anticipated and that was fun. touched some sponges and star jelly fish and had a great time. Would definitely go back. They also offer kayaks for those not ready to go on the paddeleboards.
A great experience. Exhausting I have to admit but lots of fun and excellent instructor.
We booked the stand up paddle board tour of the Mangrove area. Neither my wife or myself had done Paddle board before so thought this would be fun and would give good views of the area and the wild life. The promo says no experience is necessary. We were given a courtesy pick up from our hotel, along with 5 other people along the way and taken to the marina. There are no changing facilities offered at the dock so just as well we wore our swim suits. We were given about 5 or 6 minutes 'training' on how to paddle the board and that was it. It quickly became clear this wasn't a paddle board tour but infact the paddle board tour was combined with a kayak tour. The guide was also in a Kayak and my wife and myself were quickly left trailing behind as the others moved ahead easily against the tide seated in the kayaks. As beginners its hard to get started paddle boarding and much more difficult to match speed of kayaers. Also the guide was giving information we couldn't hear because we were so far behind.
Also the first stretch of water is not a no wake zone for boats so it gets a bit choppy, it would possibly be a good idea to warn paddle boarders about this and what to do drop to your knees before getting on the water.
The area itself is lovely, we saw a good bit of wildlife, from star fish to nurse sharks. Once we got the hang of paddling things improved and once we turned home and had the tide with us we could easily keep up with the kayaks, we heard and enjoyed so much more of the commentary rather than paddling hard to keep up. The tour did pass through some areas really just suited to kayaks, so stand up paddle boarding became lie flat on your boarding paddling, so get through the mangrove trees.
One other thing was that we both brought wet shoes, but were told not to use them. Although we layered on the SPF50 cream kneeling and standing up removed the cream and we both needed up with slightly sun burnt feet. We still see no reason why we couldn't have worn wet shoes.
This was definitely worth doing, but maybe better if you've tried SUP boarding before. I personally don't think the combining of boards and kayaks is good and but a separate tour would have been better, I felt we held back the kayaks and we missed out because we were slower.
Another issue the guide and other staff made a very good job of emphasising we needed to take water and they had water available to buy if needed. However, once we hit the water, it wasn't mentioned and there were no 'water break' stops. Fortunately we were used to keeping hydrated, but it was clear the others in the group were not drinking and a number of them said they had headaches, or were sleepy or dizzy all dehydration symptoms. It wouldn't take much to just pause at the turn around point and ensure all guests remember to take a drink.
The lack of changing room, the combination of boards and kayaks, and the lack of on water care dehydration, and leaving the slow boarders behind are the reasons for the low score. Value for money was great, the experience of the tour in general was also great.
Still have questions?
We’re here to help.
Call (855) 274-1023 to speak with a Destination Specialist
Product code: C-18235P2